Thursday, August 12, 2010

Men's Dressing Room--A new word I learned the Hard Way!

In a new environment, the first time is always the hardest--but then we learn right.
Yesterday was our swimming day and the boys were ecstatic. We took the bus to our stop and I asked directions--trying to at least in German, not great yet--and we found the pool, after walking through some streets that looked as if they came right out of a story book or Beauty and the Beast. Passed some cute farms and found our indoor swimming pool. After a great deal of confusion of how to get down to the pool, we found the electronic admission screen. I bought our ticket and we entered the dressing room. Then I realized, I had only seen men come in this way. I quickly rushed the boys into a 4x4 dressing room, and hushed them as much as I could, planning our escape. After wrestling them in such a small area, they were ready and we ran out of there.
A lifeguard came out to help me because I had come back in and it had taken my admission ticket--darn it, I didn't want to pay again--but he was awesome and gave me another ticket. It didn't help that the room was at least 100 degrees in the building to keep the temp. of the pool comfortable, then with all of the confusion I was baking. The lifeguard then led me to the dressing room, and we yes had in fact dressed with the men. I wasn't sure though, you know its Europe, and those kinds of things gel fine with them.
The pools were great with a tiny tots pool with a slide, a bigger one for Everett equipped with boogie boards and inner tubes, and a larger one with high dives that I am dying to try out when I don't have the kids.
I learned a great lesson to look for the signs that say DAMEN to dress in or use a restroom.

3 comments:

3stockdalekids said...

this is too funny. i don't know what i would have done. but i'm glad they did have dressing rooms and they used them and didn't just go in the nude. so fun for ev and liam though. we miss them everyday.

Rockabilly Mom said...

Lol! Yeah, Herren is Men, Damen is Women! Dan has walked into the women's restroom a couple times by just not paying attention, lol. Glad you guys are enjoying yourselves!

flavialou said...

Wicked. Awesome.

Always tricky learning the ropes in a new culture. Props to you for taking that on with two kids along for the ride!