Friday, December 10, 2010

Day #4

So...day 4, we had plans, however they were cut short because sickness ruled the house. Everett had a myriad of symptoms so for our days 4 & 5 we had to lay low, however Steve celebrated the season at his second of three Christmas parties for work... Yeah that is right Steve has three work Christmas parties, and families are not invited. That is just the way they do things here.

Anyway, as with any social gathering here in Europe, there is always a lot of alcohol. Before we sat down for dinner, we went outside into the winter night in downtown Feldkirch to talk, and hang out. We stood around in circles, and then one of the German guys suggested that we order a round of Glühwein, which is a hot, sweet German alcoholic winter drink. As they went around everybody seemed to agree that would be a good idea. I just said to myself, I will just order nothing, and maybe they won't notice.

Everybody had their little steamy cups, and then they asked what they should get me. I suggested that they just get me a water or something. They all thought it was preposterous. They all knew that I didn't drink alcohol, and Dietmar, my German colleague ran up to the bartender and asked, do you have a hot drink without alcohol? The bartender looked at him squarely and responded that the only thing was Kinderpunch. So they all enjoyed their Glühwein, and I enjoyed my Kinderpunch. It was hilarious, particularly when another colleague looked at me and said, "C'mon Steve, I'll buy you another round. What'll you have." I told him that I would have a Kinderpunch, please. He gave me the strangest look, and we went back and forth, "Are you sure." "Yes." Etc. So if you are ever in Feldkirch for Christmas time, I would suggest you give the Kinderpunch a try, it is quite good.

No comments: